Blackfriars: An Oxford University Hall
Blackfriars Hall is one of the five Permanent Private Halls of the University of Oxford.
Run by the English Dominicans, Blackfriars Hall brings a Dominican love of truth into the context of a world-class and globally-influential University.
At Blackfriars Hall, the University’s life of teaching and research comes into contact with a rich Dominican tradition of theological and philosophical scholarship and reflection, most obviously in our two research institutes; the Aquinas Institute and the Las Casas Institute for Social Justice. The research institutes are a valuable resource for our students, who are encouraged to take part in their activities.
Students and Researchers
Blackfriars Hall welcomes a diverse range of people, including Catholics and many from other backgrounds who value our ethos, as students or researchers.
We currently host 70 students drawn from many backgrounds and nationalities. Students can study for a number of postgraduate qualifications in the University, and the Hall provides special programmes for Registered Visiting Students from abroad. The academic staff of the Hall is comprised of Fellows and other members of the Senior Common Room.
Hall students have the advantage of Blackfriars’ specialist library in philosophy and theology, located in our city-centre priory. They enjoy access to the work of our two research institutes, the Aquinas Institute and the Las Casas Institute for Social Justice. In comparison with the colleges, the student and staff community of Blackfriars Hall is relatively small, but this allows us to have an especially friendly and supportive community.
Students can also avail of the resources and events of Blackfriars Studium, including a range of lectures and classes in philosophy and theology.
An Historic Institution
Blackfriars is a living reminder of the University’s origins and heritage.
The Dominicans first arrived in Oxford in 1221 and were soon teaching and studying in the University. Blackfriars was suppressed at the Reformation, but the friars returned to Oxford in 1921 and began to train Dominican students for the priesthood in the Studium at their new priory in 1929.
The friars became in time increasingly involved in the life of the University. Blackfriars was established as a Permanent Private Hall in 1994.
Blackfriars Hall is governed day to day by the Moderators. These are the Regent (Head of House), the Vice-Regent and the Secretary of Studies. Overall responsibility for the government of the Hall lies with the Provincial Council of the English Dominicans.